Academic Advising for Undeclared Students
Advising & Academic Services...
1. Provides quarterly mandatory academic advising to all undeclared students.
During the advising meetings:
- We encourage students to enroll in general education courses. They are provided a GE Course checklist.
- We encourage them to read the current CSUSB Bulletin of Courses (catalog) to get information about the University, its majors and their related career opportunities.
- We ask them to make a list of subjects in which you are interested and then make appointments with professors in those areas. They can provide additional information and answer questions about academic requirements and career opportunities.
- We encourage them to contact the Career Development Center at (909) 537-5250 and utilize their Discovery computer program and/or attend "Declaring A Major" workshop.
- Help them understand their PAWS.
3. Monitors how long students are undeclared. As the student approaches 70 units they are "required" to meet with a faculty advisor of a major they are thinking of to learn what the department has to offer to reach their future goals. Registration holds are placed until they declare a major.
4. Help students become familiar with academic support resources and services like the Learning and Writing Centers.
Consult with Advisors
As an undeclared student, Advising and Academic Services in UH-380 is your university department until you declare a major. Advisors are there to help with your academic progress and to give you alternatives and hints on possible majors based on your interests.
Your professors are another great source of information. Stop by during their office hours and talk with them.
Declare Your Major
Once you know what you want to major in, stop by Records, Registration and Evaluations office or go to the Records, Registration and Evaluations Web Site at http://enrollment.csusb.edu/download.html and complete a Change of Major Form. There will be a small fee ($6.00), which you must pay at the Bursars' office in order to file.